The suburb of Ermington was named after a stone mansion Ermingtonbuilt by Major Edmund Lockyer in 1827.Ermington played an early role in Australia’s wine industry and became an important source of fruit for early Sydney in the 1830s.
When the Ermington Shopping Centreopened in 1958, it was an essential amenity for the hundreds of families in the new Housing and War Commission Homes. Today, this string of shops along Betty Cuthbert Avenue is a busy shopping hub.
Since the Sydney property boom in the early 2000s, Ermington has had a wave of young families settle here in search of affordable houses, while the continued development of Parramatta attracts professional workers. In 2006/07, the site of the former Ermington Naval Storage Depot was cleared and Stockland commenced development of its Riverwalk estate, featuring high-market housing beside the Parramatta River.
There are five Sydney bus routes that service Ermington. The 520 and M52 travel to and from Parramatta Station to the City and Circular Quay. The 523 travels via Spurway and Bartlett Streets in Ermington and on to West Ryde. The 524 services Melrose Park, stopping along Boronia St, then at Ermington Shops. This route then travels along the industrial section of Rydalmere, along South Street and via the ferry wharf towards Parramatta.