The land in the district of the Field of Mars, originally granted to Surgeon William Balmain in 1794, was bestowed the name 'Meadow Bank'. William Bennett died in 1865 but his widow remained at Meadowbank until her death in 1879. The estate was subdivided in the late 1880s to accommodate the opening of the railway from Strathfield to Hornsby in 1886. The station opened here was called Hellenic, but this was later changed to Meadowbank, after the Meadowbank Estate.
Meadowbank is a mixed commercial-residential area, featuring a small group of shops on either side of Meadowbank railway station, and a shopping centre within the residential apartment complex to the south, along Bay Drive.
Meadowbank is easily accessible by Road, Ferry, Bus and Train. Meadowbank experiences limited traffic as major roads circle rather than run through the suburb. Main roads include Lane Cove road to the east, Victoria Road to the north and Adelaide Street to the West. Other central roads include Constitution Road, Meadow Crescent and Bank Street.
Meadowbank railway station is on the Northern railway line of Sydney's CityRail network and is served by two trains per hour each way, with additional trains on weekday peak hours. The station is within walking distance of a ferry wharf served by Sydney to Parramatta ferries. This ferry wharf, on Parramatta River, is part of the Sydney Ferries network, primarily servicing tourists on weekends and city workers during the week.
Meadowbank is undergoing gentrification, with many of its factories being demolished and replaced by waterfront high-rise apartments with views of the Parramatta River. With various landmarks and features, including parks, waterways and churches, Meadowbank is a thriving area.