Denistone was named after Forster's home "Denistone", burnt down by bushfires in 1855. Richard Rouse Terry acquired the land from the Blaxlands in 1872 where he rebuilt Denistone House, now within the grounds of Ryde Hospital. The Denistone estate, centred on Denistone House, was a late subdivision, not opened up for sale until 1913. Another historic house in Denistone is The Hermitage which was built by Gregory Blaxland's son, John Blaxland in about 1842.
Denistone is predominantly residential, free of an expedient commercial hub. Its centre is considered to be the railway station, which was built in 1937, extending to Darvall Park, a forest reserve near the railway line.
The residents of Denistone are served by West Ryde shopping centre on Victoria Road and the strip of approximately 50 shops on Ryedale Road. In addition, there are a wide selection of shops and restaurants nearby at Epping and Eastwood.
Denistone railway station is on the Northern railway line of Sydney's City Rail network, with trains to the city running every 10 to 30 minutes.
Denistone East is also well served by buses to the city including the 515, X14, X18 and 518 buses. North Western is a private bus company that operates in the local area.
Most homes in Denistone were built in the 1920s and 30s, while housing growth in Denistone East and Denistone West occurred between 1940 and 1970.
The suburb is noted for its fine examples of 1920s and 1930s architecture, generous blocks, gardens and aesthetic streetscapes. Properties in Denistone are predominantly Californian Bungalows and red-brick homes, with the occasional Federation-style home.